[Fruits Basket] Haru/Rin, #1 Title: Better Left Alone Author: Ysabet MacFarlane (ba087@chebucto.ns.ca) Pairing: Sohma Hatsuharu and Sohma Isuzu (Rin) Fandom: Fruits Basket Theme: # 1 (look over here) Disclaimer: Fruits Basket belongs to Takaya Natsuki and Hakusensha; English-language versions by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). This piece of fiction is in no way approved or endorsed by any of the copyright holders. Please support the original work! Notes: Set a week or so after ch. 70 (vol. 12); no additional spoilers. Title from "2nd Law" by Tom McRae. ********** Rin looked up from the textbook she was halfheartedly pretending to read, her attention caught by a soft flicker at the back of her mind. She never knew whether to call it a side effect of the Jyuunishi bond, or intuition, or pure coincidence that she sometimes knew when Haru was nearby, but it was as unmistakable as it was rare. *Don't look,* she reproached herself, as if she weren't already on her way to the classroom window, tossing her hair back over her shoulders to blur the phantom sensation of being touched, of fingers curving to fit the back of her neck. *Don't look.* That her gaze landed on him instantly had nothing to do with their shared curse and everything to do with the way his white hair and bright jewelry caught the sunlight. He was leaning against the wall that separated the school from the busy street, the shirt of his uniform half-open in the late summer heat; his eyes were hidden behind his cycling goggles, but his face was perfectly calm and nonchalant, as if skipping class to visit an all-girls' high school half an hour from Kaibara were a perfectly reasonable thing to do. "Go away," Rin mouthed, hands tightening on the sill as she stared down at him. None of her classmates heard, although two of the other girls had started whispering to each other as soon as she'd stood up; experience told her that if she looked over at them, they would glance away in carefully choreographed unison. She kept her eyes fixed on the wall below, and a heartbeat later Haru's head turned towards the window. Towards her. She gritted her teeth and stayed put, resisting the urge to step back and pretend that they hadn't seen each other. *He's the one who shouldn't be here.* There was nothing supernatural about the shiver that ran up her spine and pulled at the mostly-healed muscles in her shoulder; without looking, she knew that her hands were white-knuckled on the windowsill. Her body knew exactly how long it would take to fall from the second-floor classroom to the ground. The memory of the impact slipped away if she tried to think about it, swallowed by the way the wind had sounded in her ears. She sometimes thought it was the wind she was holding on against, as if it might spring up out of nowhere and pull her down again. Looking down at Haru, she felt a sudden spasm of horror that he might read the irrational fear off her face. Even through his goggles, the silent, pleading demand in his gaze was impossible to ignore. She remembered it from stolen winter afternoons and nights they'd spent together, when he'd been fixated on finding a way to induce the fleeting moments when the bond had brought them into sharp, breathless awareness of each other. It had never worked. It was--had to be--a coincidence that she'd felt him so perfectly when he'd pulled her into his arms for the first time in months, kissing her as if that alone could bring her back to him. The pleasure of it had melted seamlessly into a clear glimpse of the anguish hidden under his steady voice, as he stared back into her and spoke directly to whatever it was he saw there. Now, with his eyes invisibly fixed on her, Rin realized she was holding her breath, waiting for it to happen again. Behind her, the whispering had stopped; she dimly heard the scrape of a chair pushed back, the footsteps of someone approaching. *Go away,* she thought, willing him to somehow understand. *Don't let them see this.* Just before her classmate arrived to see what she was looking at, Haru turned away, rolling his shoulders as carelessly as if he really had only been taking a break from walking in the heat. Rin kept her face blank as the other girl stood beside her and watched him go. "Is that your type, Sohma?" It was a careless question, rather than malicious, so Rin shrugged instead of ignoring it outright. "I was just getting some air," she said evenly, going back to her desk and sinking into her seat. She put her head in her hands and closed her eyes, hoping the whispering girls would think she was sick, and eventually their attention turned elsewhere, leaving her alone.