"Salt" a Fruits Basket fragment by Ysabet MacFarlane original release: January 7, 2005 Characters are the property of Takaya Natsuki, and this fragment is mine. Not for reposting. ******** In all my memories of her, Rin is crying. Not _really_ all of them, but all the ones that come to mind when I'm thinking about something else, or when I'm about to fall asleep, or when I hear her name. The purest memory I have of her tastes like salt. I don't have to close my eyes to feel her skin, the whisper of her hair across my knuckles when I brush it back to keep it from sticking to her cheeks. The taste deep in my mouth is different, the unique blend of her skin and her kisses, but her tears are on my lips, adding a final garnish. I've run out of things to say, but my mouth keeps moving. The rest of the memory is there if I look for it: the way her head fell back when I kissed her, the feel of her hands splayed across my back to hold me close, her heartbeat gradually slowing to a normal rate while we nestle together. Pleasure is more likely than pain to make her cry; pain is familiar, but pleasure always takes her by surprise, as if someone has given her something beautiful but unfathomable. With only me to see her, her eyes shine and the tears flow, moistening my lips when I kiss her. Salt: the taste of my love in my arms. ***** When I see her now, her dry eyes make her a stranger.