***** "Reconnecting" a Fruits Basket fragment by Ysabet MacFarlane (ba087@chebucto.ns.ca) Written for Sleepdebtfairy Set shortly after chapter 107 ***** "She looks different," Kisa whispered, staring across the room. "Of course she looks different," Hiro muttered back. He'd grown up watching Rin in her rebellious clothes; seeing most of her skin at once was a fact of life. It was the short hair that made her look naked. He found he couldn't look too closely at her. "That's not what I meant," Kisa said. "Her face doesn't look so scary." "Scary?" Hiro looked over at Rin again, trying to see it. Intellectually, he knew he had once found her intimidating. He turned the memory of the feeling around in his mind, trying to remember how it had felt, but it was lost. Any expression Rin had worn that might have frightened him in the past had been distorted by the memory of her blood. "She looks really tired." "Mm." Kisa nodded agreement, sipped her tea silently. "What're you two whispering about?" Haru came up behind Kisa and ruffled her hair carelessly before kneeling beside her. "None of--nothing." Hiro drained his own teacup in one swallow, wincing as it burned his throat. Kisa took a quick look up at Haru and leaned forward to rest her chin on one hand. Golden hair slid forward to hide her eyes. "Hey--" Haru touched her chin and nudged her so that she had to face him. "What is it?" "Isuzu-oneechan . . . " "What about her?" Kisa sat still, obviously trying to choose her words. Haru kept his fingers under her chin, and Hiro looked away, trying to suppress the automatic flash of jealousy. *Haru-nii's like that with everyone,* he reminded himself sternly. He watched Rin talking to Kazuma, the two of them backlit against the window that overlooked the garden. The sleek haircut and the sweater that covered her to her wrists and throat made her look older. Adult. "I wanted to . . . see her, after what Hiro-chan said, but I . . . " Kisa was saying behind him. Kazuma laid a fatherly hand on Rin's shoulder and left the room with a nod to the others. As the door slid closed behind him, Rin ran her fingers through her hair. Hiro saw her small twitch of surprise when they hit the back of her bare neck. " . . . I don't know what to say to her." "She won't mind," Haru replied, and Hiro forced a smile for Rin when she came over to join them. As she knelt, he caught a glimpse of leg through the slit in her skirt. It was obscurely comforting. Haru let go of Kisa's face and brushed his hand against Rin's. Her fingers opened, letting him hold her hand, but a faint hint of color showed on her face. "It's not like we don't know," Hiro muttered. Rin glared at him and tightened her grip on Haru's hand. Exhaustion lurked in her eyes, too deep for sleep to ease. *I guess Haru-nii can't make her ok again any more than that stupid woman can.* For a moment he was afraid he'd spoken the words aloud, but no one commented. "I'm glad to see you," Kisa said abruptly, her soft voice sounding almost loud in the silence. "I guess it's been a while," Rin replied, shaking her head as if trying to clear her thoughts. "How . . . how are you?" Rin blinked slowly, and Hiro had the distinct, eerie impression that she had forgotten the words needed to express herself. He looked over at Haru, wondering if he was imagining it, and Haru nodded slightly as he stroked the back of Rin's hand. Her eyes flickered closed and opened again. "Getting better," she said. "Are you eating?" Hiro asked sharply. "You look even thinner than the last time I saw you." "I--" She glanced at Haru, and her eyes were alert again. Whatever passed between them made Hiro's stomach tighten with worry. "I am now. It was a rough winter." "Rin--" "Thanks, Hiro." The connection that had let him understand a little of her desperation lightened at the sincerity in her voice. It was the first warmth he had had from her since the heat of her blood on his hands. She looked away again immediately, at Kisa, and Hiro missed whatever words the two girls exchanged, the knot of anxiety in his chest loosening slightly. He sat and watched the way Haru's fingers moved against Rin's, the slow dance of idly entwined hands. [fin] ***** Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work! "Reconnecting" © 2005 by Ysabet MacFarlane (ba087@chebucto.ns.ca). Comments and criticism welcomed at the above address. This story may be reproduced and archived so long as the original text is preserved and the author's name and contact information remain attached. Notifying the author of any such use is an appreciated courtesy. NO CHANGES OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED.