Title: Thaw Author: Ysabet MacFarlane Pairing: Sohma Hatsuharu and Sohma Isuzu (Rin) Fandom: Fruits Basket Theme: # 30 (kiss) Disclaimer: Fruits Basket belongs to Takaya Natsuki and Hakusensha; English-language versions by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Notes: Set during chapter 70 / volume 12 of the manga; if you've read it, you know what kiss this is. If not, please note that this contains fairly mild spoilers and has a distinctly sexual undercurrent. *** "I want to be completed I want to disappear I want to be uncovered Take me down Take me down Let me drown" --October Project, "Deep As You Go" (Falling Farther In) *** And in the end it took so very little for him to slide under the defenses she'd built and guarded for months. Only a few words and a touch to undo her: one hand at the base of her spine, pulling her closer while he tilted her head up to look at him. Whatever he was searching for in her eyes, he found it; he was kissing her before she could protest, tongue brushing lightly against her lips, and then inside her mouth. Rin caught at his arms, meaning to push him away--trying to push him--but the dizzying closeness, the way he teased her lips and returned to kissing her, left her clenching her hands in his shirt, holding onto him while their bodies moved together. *I have to get away--* Haru's fingers in her hair held her still, a gentle, familiar restraint. *Yuki's watching us.* She tried to gather up her evaporated rage, her contempt for the Rat, anything to distract herself from the inexorable tenderness of Haru's mouth. *--like he's never seen anyone kissing before--* But maybe he hadn't, not up close and personal; Yuki seemed the type to look away from displays of affection, and what Haru was doing to her went far beyond the casual kisses she sometimes saw people exchange in public. *Maybe it's no wonder he's staring,* she admitted to herself, before Haru stopped being gentle and she forgot Yuki's presence entirely. She'd thought she remembered the way he kissed her, all the ways: sometimes soft and precious, sometimes bordering on violent. There had been enough restless nights, thinking about him, that she'd been sure she remembered everything. In his arms now, clinging to him in spite of herself, her body filled in the gaps that her memory had kindly blurred. She shuddered and tightened her grip on him, too breathless and hungry to do more than hold on while he kissed her--more than that, while he devoured her mouth with his, no gentleness left at all except in the way he held her. She remembered him making love to her, everything tender but his kisses, the contrast enough to leave her shaking and blissful for hours. And she remembered slowly becoming addicted to his mouth, as he had learned her body's secrets. His embrace was comfort; sex, an insatiable need to get closer than their bodies would allow, no matter how sweet or fierce he was; but his mouth . . . she pressed closer, craving the bright pleasure and soft contentment in her memory. When he stopped kissing her, only his arms kept her on her feet. She leaned against him, soaking up his warmth and strength. *I was right not to touch him,* the logical part of her mind whispered bitterly, while the sound of his voice lulled her--gentle, full of love and confusion and need. Without looking, she could feel Yuki's gaze still on them, and she wondered how they had looked in their nearly-motionless dance of desire, if he had seen her weakness so soon after she disparaged his. *I'm pathetic. Letting him hold me like this, as if nothing has changed--* "Are you still the same?" Haru asked quietly, as if he had read her mind. "The same as you were then . . ?" She took his meaning instantly, with the clear certainty that love and the bond sometimes granted, and something deep inside screamed at it--the unwanted memory of a sidewalk scraping her face raw, the pain of blood pooling unseen in places it was never meant to be. *NO.* He stood still under her hand when she hit him--no attempt to stop her, no surprise in those unfathomable eyes, only an attempt to understand. Not quite pleading with her. Lust and sanctuary in his arms she could almost endure. It was his eyes that made her bolt, running with the unnatural speed the curse had granted her human body, without looking back. She ran long after she knew he wasn't going to follow her, any more than he would have held her if she'd struggled; ran until her breathing was as ragged and painful as the sobs she didn't dare release. *I haven't changed.* The loathing that washed over her when she finally stopped moving made her raging at Yuki pale into nothingness. She stared blindly at the sky, trying to suppress the dull emptiness that twisted inside her chest. The frustrating afternoon she'd spent with Shigure had ended with a long silence that let her imagine she was a child again, that nothing had changed between them. Rin closed her eyes and tried not to think about Haru's hands on her body, or the bitter knowledge that she would have let him take things much further if he'd tried, despite Yuki's presence and Shigure's careless mockery. *I can't do this anymore.* She sat still until the sky began to darken, struggling to think of nothing at all.